Thursday, May 10, 2007

Wet Golf

Why is it that whenever I want to do something outside it rains! I took a few hours off work today to play golf with a friend of mine cos she cant leave her husband at night much these days (he has dementia). At the 3rd tee I put up the Caddy Cover to protect my clubs, by the 4th tee I decided to put on my waterproof top and put up my umbrella. The 4th hole was terrible, first shot was wonderful despite the heavy rain, then my ball must have had a rough magnet in it. I got totally flustered with the clutter of having an umbrella to keep putting up and down as I took my shots. I put my sensible head on and relaxed for the next hole - the dyke (wall for those not up on Scottish terms) my ball got over but just off the green, my pal's ball bounced before the dyke and made it over (Jammy!), she then proceeded to do a miraculous putt and ended up with a birdie - jam on jam if you ask me. By the 7th I took off the waterproof (had long abandoned the umbrella!). Just as we finished the 9th hole the heavens opened again. We sheltered for a while under the clubhouse veranda before we bravely set out again. We thought that it would just be a short shower - how wrong we were! The rain just got heavier and heavier but we got on with our game and tried to keep our heads down and our grip on the clubs. By the time we reached the 15th hole I was soaked through to the skin and feeling very cold. Nae hat meant that the rain was running through my hair and my hairstyle was ruined! The 17th fairway was very wet and full of puddles. Our scores were not brilliant, but at least we completed the course, and we did have our very own private golf course as nobody else was mad enough to play!
As soon as I got home I got into a nice hot shower and warm dry clothes!
Now vegging out in front of eastenders with a mug of fruit tea!

5 comments:

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Ah a new olympic sport aquagolf with climante being what it is you might be onto a winner there!

Faith said...

Un Peu, the things you think of! Lots of golf courses round here, but I dont play. Its almost fun to get wet so you can get all warm and cosy again!

Wizzard said...

I agree with Faith - great to come back into the warm and dry!

Pondside said...

Yuck - I have golfing in the rain and cold! You were determined, though and will be able to feel noble about getting so wet in pursuit of the game! You'll appreciate this - yesterday my sister called from Liquidation World to say "They've got Ladies' Calloway golf shoes on for $5 (that's Canadian which is not much more than 2 and a half pounds)Of course I said 'get me a pair'! What riches - and extra pair of golf shoes for a pittance!

Wizzard said...

Pondside I am very jealous. I would love to be able to get golf shoes for that price.

Was going to go and play golf this afternoon, but the heavens opened again so I stayed indoors!