Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Catch up

It seems like ages since I had the time to blog. I have visited other peoples blogs, but haven't had the urge myself.
I had a really busy weekend as we had our Mixed Open on Saturday - I played at 8.30am and then spent the afternoon helping with the administration of all the scores. When I first left the house I looked up to the hills and saw that they were covered with fresh snow - yes in MAY! The weather was great and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the day. Once the scoring was done I could relax with a few G&Ts in the bar. The local winners were one of my ex-junior golfers and his Auntie who only just took up golf fairly recently - she is also the Club Captain's wife. The Captain had said that he would eat his hat if she beat him - so guess what was served as his starter!
On Sunday morning I played my medal as I cant play on thursday. We played at 9.30 and were very fortunate with the weather as about an hour after we got in the heavens opened and the rest of the day remained rather damp. I was really pleased as despite making some silly shots I still ended up with a net 64 which is 2 below par. Fingers crossed that my score holds for thursday - it would be great to win!
Monday came, and I had to get up really early (5am) to go to the office as I had a meeting with my boss and his boss to prepare for an interview I have on Friday. This has come about because our organisation has been going through a process of Job Evaluation. They basicall interviewed a selection of people in different areas of the business across Scotland, then created profiles which should enable managers to match a persons job against them. The grade you get matched against will affect salary. Anyway, when my manager and I met in november we did not totally agree with the matching - he though I was a D and I felt I was a C. We decided that there was nothing to lose by me trying to go for a C as the worst that could happen would be for me to get a D - for once in my life I was actually "going for it" rather than accepting what someone thought. How wrong could we be. The result of this "nomatch" was that the panel decided that I was an E! The process had asked us to fill in a form stating in which areas I thought I matched a higher grade, but we understood that we did not have to fill in the form stating where we agreed on the original matched D grade. SO, next step was to appeal. My boss and I completed a very comprehensive form in which we started off by stating how we had filled in the original nomatch form and that all the managers were behind my appeal. We hoped that the panel would see sense and not make me attend an interview. But again we were wrong, I now have an interview with the panel on friday morning. I hate interviews, I dont interview well, and I am hopeless at selling myself. What I feel is run of the mill is what I need to sell as to non-techies it is not run of the mill. My bosses and I met for 4 hours helping me to prepare for the interview- I just hope that I come across ok.

On a brighter note, we have our Ladies Open on Saturday, once again I am out at 8.30am so that I can get back in and sort out all the scores. The weather forecast is not great at the moment, so fingers crossed for a dry day.

Off to Edinburgh tomorrow afternoon for a meeting for the magazine I have started to edit for the Scottish Community Drama Association - the old editor left and I was asked if I would take on two issues to give them time to find a new editor. I have now been asked if I will continue. I wish I could make a living out of this rather than doing it just for voluntary organisations (OK, I do get a payment for overheads, but this is not a commercial rate). Editing this mag and maintaining their website along with the many others that I maintain voluntarily seems to be taking more time than I first envisaged, but it is great to receive compliments - worth more than dosh!

8 comments:

Blossomcottage said...

Well done Net 64 very impressive, hope it holds for Thursday. I used to play witha chap who had a handicap of 1 he loved my 30 handicap loads and loads of shots to play with. He knew I could get it straight down the fairway onto the green and as long as he could do the putting we were quids in!! Great Fun.
Blossom

annakarenin said...

Unfortunately though they don't pay the bills! I suppose that is the problem with a lot of voluntary work and is the reason things like youth clubs and scout groups etc are closing because many people have to work long hours because of the cost of living in this country, glad you can do it though and enjoy,
The photos are fantatstic one of the joys of blogger is how many more photos there are, it reminds me of what beautiful countries we live in in the uk, just wish I was able to visit more parts of them. Have been to Scotland about three times as my husbands grandfather lives in Greenoch would love to get up there again soon and show him the two youngest.

Pondside said...

Snow in May -Yikes!!!...although when I lived in Northern Alberta we had snow, one year, every month!
Best of luck on your interview. YOU can be your own best asset and advocate - I'll think about you on Thursday night and with the time difference we'll be about right!

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Hope all goes well with the interview. Wonderful photos - how lovely to live amongst such fabulous scenery.

Exmoorjane said...

Oh dear, you're speaking in a foreign language I'm afraid. My father was potty about golf but it rather put me off.....he kept giving me clubs and gloves and things (as he did with diving gear - his other passion) and they have gathered dust in the wardrobe. But it's funny how golf keeps intruding in my life at the moment - a couple of friends are starting to learn and James, my 8-year old, has expressed an interest in learning....dear oh dear, I may have to come to terms with it yet!
Love your wormery...and intrigued by the cones....
Also v impressed by your phone/computer knowledge..... very best, Janex

Woozle1967 said...

Catch up, catch up - that's all I seem to do lately! Aaargh. Good weather means in the garden, bad weather means laptop. Bit grey and chilly here today, sooo..... Love your photos!xx

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Bit warmer now though - if rather dull. Oi Wizzard how did you get the writing all over our wall paper I am really envious.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

That should of course have read your wall paper