Sunday, June 08, 2008

Busy Weekend

WOW what a busy weekend I have had.
Yesterday was our golf club's Ladies Open. I was part of the organising committee, so I tee'd off at 8.30am so that I could enjoy my golf before facing the rest of the day. There was a fair bit of dew on the ground, so we knew that we would not have the advantage that the rest of the field would get later with the ball running on and on. My golf was not exactly the best that I have played, but I did do a stonker of a drive on the "longest drive" hole - just a few yards in front of the green and it remained on the fairway - something unusual for this particular hole! Well, my drive held all day and I won a bottle of bubbly for that. Then on one of our long par 3's I landed my drive just about a yard from the hole and I put it in for a "magic 2" which won me some more dosh!

Luckily we had no hiccups during the day, and the weather was fantastic - very very very sunny and hot.

Today I decided that I needed to spend time in the garden as I had bags and bags of Strulch to put down but I needed to weed and tidy up the beds first. Bed #1 has a dry stone wall around 2 sides and the lawn around the other 2. On the lawn sides I had once put lots and lots of stones to try and keep the weeds down, but this didnt work and looked untidy. I used some of them to build up the bottom part of the wall so that the soil does not overflow onto the pavement. I then turned over the soil and removed lots more weeds. I then mulched with 3 bags of Strulch. Earlier in the year I removed 3 potentillas from the bed and now just want to leave it for a while to renourish the soil.

After lunch I then weeded and de-rocked another bed and Strulch'd it. Last year my neighbours and I felled 2 trees between our houses. We had to leave 6ft stumps as the fence had been built round the trees. Well they were re-growing, so I had to remove all the new growth - hopefully one day the re-growth will stop. I then continued my weeding of another bed and my retaining wall garden.

This was all followed by a body exfoliation, shower and feet up watching the box!

Going to work for a break tomorrow!

Wx

5 comments:

Norma Murray said...

It's amazing how long it takes before a tree stump gives up. We cut a small beech and an ash down six years ago and each spring they still throw up shoots.

Blossomcottage said...

Oh!! I can feel how stiff your shoulder must be, golf and gardening! I played golf last month for the first time in years, I had a great time, but my SHOULDERS!! didn't 'alf complain. Well done You.
Blossom

Pondside said...

Whew!! You'll need that little break that at a day back at work will give you! You certainly know how to make good use of a day!

Cait O'Connor said...

I go back to work for a rest too Wizzard. I have been weeding like mad as well, it's worth it in the end but the ground elder is a challenge!
Don't overdo it though, I set myself a time limit each day.

mountainear said...

Please put me out of my mysery. What is Strulch? I've deduced that its a mulch but is is a special Scottish mulch?