Monday, June 23, 2008

Bodnant Garden and Steam Trains

Last week I went to Wales. My parents had hired a cottage at Beddgelert in Snowdonia and asked if me and Orinoco wanted to join them for a few days. Orinoco was busy with work so I went on my own. It was quite a long drive down from Scotland but the look on Mum's face was worth it.
On Tuesday we decided to go to the NT garden at Bodnant. We started off with a coffee in the pavilion when I persuaded Mum to have a wheelchair so that she would be able to see more of the garden (Mum had a stroke a year ago and finds it difficult to walk on slopes and cannot walk far even on the flat). I am so glad we did. To get to the entrance we had to go down a long sweeping slope under the road, then a very steep path past the gift shops to the entrance. Mum and Dad are both NT members, so I was expecting to pay the entrance fee, but the nice lady said the "pusher" gets in free! The gardens are wonderful but apart from the top level they are anything but level!
There is one part of the garden called "the Dell", we went down a very steep slope with me digging my heels in and clutching onto the handles so Mum wouldnt go flying! Coming up was great fun - Dad reckons it was a 1:3 hill! I pushed Mum and Dad pushed me!

It was an exhausting day but Mum enjoyed it so much.





The next day was a wee bit wet, so we decided to go for a trip on the Ffestiniog railway as at least we could see the scenery and stay dry.














The following day we decided to go on the Welsh Highland Railway. This currently runs from Caernarfon to Rhyd Ddu, but next Easter it will run all the way to Porthmadog where the Ffestiniog railway runs from. This runs through Beddgelert and in the morning Dad and I walked up to the station to see how works were progressing.


In Caenarfon we had 2 hours to spend, so we took a gentle walk round the bottom of the castle but the wind was very strong nearly knocking us over. We caught the train back, and I had a Welsh beer on the train back - very nice.
On Friday morning I set off early back to Scotland and got home late afternoon in time to take the junior golf.
A lovely wee break and worth the drive.
Wx

8 comments:

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Gawd not exactly relaxing the for you at the gardens - so glad your Mum decided on the wheel chair.

OOooooo steam trains and I have been there and been to both - how exciting to see them again. Glad you enjoyed being with your Mum and Dad.

Norma Murray said...

Sounds like a great trip. You brought back happy memories for me of pushing my mum round National Trust Gardens in a wheel chair.
Lovely photos

Fire Byrd said...

Beddlegert is a lovely place.It's on the best road in the world down from Capel Curig to Porthmadoc.Always stop for a picnic on that road on way to Portmerion, which is one of my favourite places in the whole world.

Anonymous said...

How generous of the free admission! Looks and sounds like a lovely trip. It's good to spend quality time with parents isn't it.

CJ xx

Pili pala said...

Glad you enjoyed yourselves x

CAMILLA said...

Lovely photo's Wizzard, glad you had an enjoyable time with your parents.

Long time since I have been to Wales, had two uncles who were welsh.

xx

Kitty said...

We went to Bodnant a few weeks back, one of my favourite gardens I've ever visited. Well worth the trip.

DJ Kirkby said...

N3S would have loved getting close to those trains!