Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The worms are all escaping

The poor little things are leaving home. Dont know what I have done wrong, but came home late last night and went to tuck them up and found a load of them on the garage floor and in the lid of their home.
Decided that they didnt like some of the food I had given them, so started to remove some of the soggy mass - too much too soon methinks. I did notice that they had been breeding well though and there were lots of baby worms without their breeding rings yet. Chucked in some corrugated cardboard and switched off the light.
Checked on them again at 5am today before leaving for work, only a few had gone to the lid, so maybe it was the putrid food!
I am now hoping that they are OK. Was tempted to leave a key for Mrs WesterWitch to check on them for me, but the little darlings will have to fend for themselves until I return.
Unfortunately, my scheduled wormery viewing at work has been postponed until Monday.

4 comments:

Wizzard said...

Finally back from work. I picked up a couple of pals from the railway station - they had been on a walking holiday in France. Stopped at their house - way down a long drive full of potholes for a wee drinkie of wine (or two) then back to check on the worms.

Pleased to report that only one little teenager was sitting on the rim - looks like a baby but has the ring round it to say it is of breeding age.

caught up on all the voice mails and emails and finally threw some stir fry down my neck!

feel ready for bed now that I have been up since 5am.

Aunt-Eunice said...

Fussy eaters worms!

Pondside said...

Lots of amdmiration from me for the worm business. I feel noble just because I keep a stainless steel pail by the sink for compost!

Wizzard said...

Just doing my bit to reduce the waste in the bin! Got quite disgusted at the amount of things that I threw out that the worms should now be eating.
Tried composting, but cant get the thing hot enough to work! Probably cos the best place to put the compost bin is in the middle of my new decking!